One of the secrets to beautifully curated grazing tables is combining fine produce and artisan breads, meats, and cheeses with homemade delicacies. These might include dips, chutneys or preserves, like this deliciously rich and sticky red onion marmalade that’s always a hit with my wedding and event catering clients. It’s really versatile too, pairing just as well with a cheese and charcuterie board as it does with beef or lamb, or wrapped up with some goats cheese in a filo pastry parcel. Delicious! Add a pretty ribbon and it also makes a wonderful gift. In fact, I included it in the invitation parcels for the Curated Kitchen launch, and it would make a great homemade Christmas gift too.
Red Onion Marmalade
Makes 4-6 jars
8 red onions
1 red chilli
2 bay leaves
25 ml olive oil
200 g brown sugar
150 ml balsamic vinegar
150 ml red wine vinegar
- Cut the onions and chilli into short, thin slices and put them into a pan with the bay leaves and oil. Cook gently over a low heat for about 20–30 minutes.
- Once the onions are dark and sticky, add the sugar and both vinegars.
- Stir well and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until the chutney is thick and dark, and the liquid has mostly evaporated. (The mixture should have a syrupy consistency, and if you drag a wooden spoon through the mixture you should see the bottom of the pan.)
- Remove the bay leaves and spoon into hot, sterilised jars with vinegar proof lids and seal. Ideally, leave the marmalade for a month or more before it is eaten, to mature in flavour.
- Will keep for 3 months sealed, but once opened, eat within 1 month.
As featured in Wedding Ideas Magazine and on B.LOVED The Curated Kitchen was featured in print again recently, this time in the popular Wedding Ideas magazine (as well as on our fave blog, B.LOVED). I loved working on this garden wedding shoot with a talented team led...
I am absolutely blown away to share that The Curated Kitchen was recently named Best Newcomer at the prestigious TWIA Awards – first in the South East regional awards, and then in January at the Nationals! I’m so honoured, and can’t think of a better way to start this...
If you’re newly engaged, then congratulations! It’s such an exciting, emotional, happy time, so enjoy every minute. Once you’ve made the big announcement to friends, family and Facebook, it’s time to start thinking about wedding planning. But first, why not kick off...
Warning: The account for thecuratedkitchenuk needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 31, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page